Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 18: Dobject's Pocket Change

The wooden box with the metal swinglatch was 5.99$ + 7% tax from BigLots. I don’t know why I wanted it; it somehow felt like pirates, but with its chemical stained wooden frame and bamboo brass strip woven sides, I didn’t think them the white Johnny Depp variety. It asked me to feed it secrets, so I slipped inside of it a plastic baggy lined with crumbling Egyptian money, speckled brown and pale green like papyrus and tea stains; a commemorative brass wafer from the Rotary Club that had the Four-Way Test for the things we think, say, or do; a handful of Hay Pennies.

The aggravating faux-pennies from Canada curtly spat from CoinStars. The 20 Pence piece left by my English cousins. Collector’s coins from Space Jam featuring Michael Jordan. A Susan B. Anthony dollar from my grandmother. An enormous hole punched necklace half-dollar, where an eagle lands on the surface of the moon.

I filled it with obscure portraits of Achilles and mythological scenes in Greek, and a coin with the French Revolution motto: “Liberté, Égalité, et Fraternité.”

Numismatic superstitions of America’s Mercury dime and Buffalo nickel: discontinued.

A box of questionable fortune:

obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment